At the heart of the My Main Street Local Business Accelerator are the Main Street Ambassadors. Main Street Ambassadors are dedicated to providing hands-on business advisory support to entrepreneurs along your main street.
By participating in the My Main Street Local Business Accelerator, participating communities unlock the following resources for their Main Street neighbourhoods:
- Main Street Ambassador Non-Repayable Contribution – participating Main Street communities will receive a non-repayable contribution of $50,000 towards the 12-month salary of a Main Street Ambassador for their neighbourhood.
- Local Business Non-repayable contributions - Participating Main Street communities will receive up to ten $10K non-repayable contributions to support local businesses. Five non-repayable contributions are available for existing businesses, while five non-repayable contributions are available for new businesses.
- Community Market Profile - Before programming begins, each participating main street community will undergo a detailed Community Market Profile. This will involve secondary market research to understand the community’s trade area, its demographics, how residents spend their money, their mobility and how they consume media. It will also involve primary research that surveys the local community to understand what types of products and services are missing from their local community.
Both the primary and secondary research will be used to target opportunities for rebuilding the participating Main Street.
- Wrap-Around Business Support - With the community market profile completed, each Main Street Ambassador will focus on providing wrap-around community economic development support for both new and existing businesses.
- Main Street Ambassador Network - Participating Main Street communities and their Main Street Ambassadors will have access to the My Main Street Ambassador Network, which will provide leadership, guidance, tools, resources and opportunities to share and amplify best practises and success stories.
A municipality can apply for multiple Main Street Ambassadors depending on their size.
Each Main Street Ambassador will need to be focused on a defined geographic area within the municipality.
My Main Street is a partnership between the Economic Development Council of Ontario and the Canadian Urban Institute.
Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario: